2016 what can I say?

There has been no shortage of complaints about the toll 2016 has had on us. From losing one of my favorite singers of all time Prince to the country breaking my heart with the president elect, I have like many have had enough. With that being said, I have seen so much that warms my heart and makes me realize how much I have learned this year.

This year I learned how children can truly celebrate a friendship. One of the most heartbreaking experiences I have had in my life happened this year and it was the death of my daughter's friend Bella. I took her death personally and was pretty pissed off at God. When I started working at the children's hospital I made this pact with God that I would give everything I had to these kids, learn about their disease, trauma, injuries so that I could help them the best way I could. The deal was that my loved ones were left alone. I felt at time of her death that God broke the promise when he took Bella. Bella showed us a rainbow a couple of nights after her funeral when I was with about 20 of her best friends. When the girls saw the rainbow they cheered, they yelled Bella's here. They truly celebrated her life and what her friendship meant to each of them. They will never forget her, the love and bond is forever and I know that God has always kept his promise to me.

This year I learned how to be a leader. I have through graduate school learned that path is what I envision for myself next in my career. I was chosen to be the project manager for the huge final project in my instructional design class and while it was a challenge to work with 4 other individuals from across the country, I found myself very connected to them and wanted them to succeed as much as I wanted to succeed in the project. I got great feedback and realized that with all this experience and education that it would be a natural progression to become a leader in Child Life or where ever the path takes me.

This year I learned that I am a tech nerd! I love to code, I love to make things on the computer and I love designing websites. My co-worker started a new company called Child Life United and asked me to design the site. Rather than hand coding I used Weebly and found it to be fantastic! Because I have coding experience I was able to go into CSS / HTML and change things if we didn't like it. I was honored that she asked and trusted that I could help her and was thrilled with the outcome. I am going to use weebly for my Final Portfolio (which is our capstone project) since making changes are easy and it offers free web hosting.

Last semester was a big one! Instructional Design, Into to Technology in Schools and Diffusion of Educational Innovation. I learned a lot and was challenged in more ways than one. New semester starts tomorrow. This is the last full semester with one last class in the summer and I will be finished!!! I couldn't be more thrilled with the University of Missouri program and how my advisor and cohorts have embraced me as a non-classroom teacher and have been open minded to my discussions and ideas. Feeling pretty lucky to have found it and while I'll be glad to wrap it up, I'll likely miss it.

So on to the next semester
Intermediate Web Development
Electronic Portfolio Development
Learning with the Internet

Lots of coding this semester and I could be more geeked out about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Promoting a lifestyle

Why YES it took me 2 days to do this